Some of these players were irrelevant in past years, waiver wire players for the whole season or not even a player rostered in some leagues, but with a new season comes new break out players. Not saying these five will break out but they have started off quite hot this season…
- Dustin Brown: After getting the “C” stripped from him last season Brown responded poorly, as he only tallied 14 goals and 22 assists, but after a look in the mirror and the Kings pairing him on the first line with Anze Kopitar, Brown has erupted out the gates. He has a four-game point streak going right now and on the season has four goals, three assists, one power play point, 20 shots on goal(SOG) and nineteen hits! He propelled himself to the #7 ranking spot in Yahoo Leagues and right now is worth a fantasy spot until things slow down, if they do…
- Braydon Schenn: Now Schenn was a top 50 fantasy player but after joining Vladimir Tarasenko and the Blues, Schenn has been off to a hot start. Schenn has two goals, four assists, two power play points, 19 SOG and eleven hits. It’s worth noting that Schenn will be there alongside Tarasenko all year and a major piece to this Blues team’s success.
- Semyon Varlamov: After missing a chunk of the last season due to injuries, Varlamov has bounced back quickly and has been a major part of the Av’s success. Last season he won just six games, posted 3.38 goals against and was a fantasy bust. Well, this season he has been the most unexpected top goalie in the league and ranks 19th in Yahoo Leagues. Varlamov has a 1.76 GAA, three wins and a .944 save percentage, mix him in against the right opponent and you have yourself a starter.
- Brayden Point: Point was a 179 ranked player in fantasy leagues and after joining the Lightning’s top six forwards he has quickly found himself in the middle of a fantasy hockey sleeper situation. Point has three goals, five assists and nine shots on goal. He is 68% owned so either find him quickly or he may be gone by the end of the week the latest. Point is seeing power play time as well and if the Lightning keep up this success than Point is a sure add in leagues.
- Matt Duchene: Many had written off Duchene to be a bust in the beginning of the year, the Avalanche were going to stink, he didn’t like the atmosphere nor coaching in Colorado and he wanted out, therefore his play was going to directly show that. Well, unfortunately, that has not been the case, if you drafted Duchene late good for you, Duchene has surged this Colorado offense to a 4-2 start. On the season
Duchene has 3 goals, 3 assists with 16 SOG, he went from a 207 ranked player to a 70 ranked player and maybe for a month or so more we will see Duchene within the top 50-100 fantasy players for the year.