Per request from Lucas on Draftingsleepers.com (if you guys have not checked them out please do so, the site is swarmed with advice and discussion boards for all major fantasy sports!)
Back to the question so we are, almost 20 games in and I released a fantasy hockey rankings update earlier this week like I said Lucas asked what players are fact and what players are fiction.
For the sake of fingers and time, some players are obvious we all should know if they are fact or fiction, but some are not. But here are my top 10 fact forwards this year and some obvious fiction players. This list does not just focus on the top 20 list I released the other day.
- Jaden Schwartz, I think this is a no-brainer, I mean paired with Brayden Schenn and Vladimir Tarasenko, and on the power play, Schwartz will be in the mix all season we can expect at least 65 points from him this year. Staying on the conversation of St. Louis, Brayden Schenn, FACT! Not many expected this guy to be here so early in the season but like Schwartz being paired with some scoring wingers and a new start in St. Louis has propelled Schenn’s numbers early this year and he will continue to play a major role in the Blues offensive success.
- Vladislav Namestnikov, umm FACT! For the sole reason he will be paired with Nikita Kucheorv and Steven Stamkos, two players that will be top 10 in points all season, Namestnikov will suffer from the trickle effect. The only concern I have with Namestnikov is if he struggles and they bringing up Brayden Point to that line, so my suggestion is streaming one of the two all season.
- Anez Kopitar, FACT. Ok, so Kopitar struggled a ton last season and the Kings success was nonexistent with him and Jonathan Quick. But as this team wins games and continue to stay atop the Pacific division, Kopitar will play a major role in that. When the Kings win he is always on the board, which shows how pivotal he is for their line up.
- Sean Couturier, FACT. It irks me to say this but Couturier, being moved to line one center with Voracek and Giroux has paid off quite well for the Flyers, and all three players. Couturier already has 19 points on the season and being the role he is the production won’t slow down, the Flyers cannot afford for that to happen and I think he has proved to us that he worth a start almost every night.
- Mika Zibanejad, FACT. Zibanejad has excelled in that number one center role and has single handily resurged this Rangers offense on top of his power play production Zibanejad will be a key piece to this Rangers team success and I do not expect him to be slowing down anytime soon!
- Vincent Trocheck, FACT. Trocheck leads the Panthers in goals and points and has been a key piece to this teams offense. Being a power play threat and center that carries a heavy shot, Trocheck will be banging goals home all year. My prediction for Trocheck is 30-goals honestly. He is only, 23 away with plenty of hockey to be played.
- Andres Lee, FACT. Man has this guy be on fire, and as many believe it is from the trickle effect of John Tavares, Lee did score 34 goals last year and already has 8 goals and 15 points on the season. I think Lee is a great addition to any fantasy team due to his LW, RW and if the Islanders offense continues this success so will Lee. We can expect him to slow down at points but he is worth a roster spot all year.
- Matthew Tkachuk, FACT. Now, Tkachuk has not stormed out the gates but he does have 11 points on the season and being a top-six forward on a Calgary team that relies on its offensive success for wins, Tkachuk will play a role in this teams chances of playoff hockey. Tkachuk is paired with Backlund and Frolik two players that are streaky but can get the job done. I would like to say Tkachuk is an easy 50 point player this year.
- Nathan McKinnon, FACT. With Matt Duchene out, someone is going to need to step up and we all know who that is. Yes, Mckinnon. With 14 points on the season McKinnon is off to a great start, but be wary if you are a stickler for plus/minus this may not be your guy. Although, I do like Mckinnon and think he will be a 60 plus point player this year. Keep him on the roster all season.
- Derek Dorsett
- Mike Green
- David Perron
- Adrian Kempe
- Jesper Bratt
- Bradnon Gallagher
- Frans Nielsen
- Benoit Pouilot
- Dustin Brown
- Brian Gibbons