After the news of Mikko Koskinen signing a three-year extension with the Oilers, this probably means that Cam Talbot wants out in Edmonton. This is not definite but based off the age of Talbot, his history and what was said after the Koskinen signing all signs are pointing to Talbot being out in Edmonton.
After the Koskinen signing it was said that the Oilers spoke to Talbot about what they were looking to do with Koskinen therefore this likely means he is on the move. If this is true, this five teams could use Cam Talbot’s services.
1. Philadelphia Flyers: Sure signing a middle-aged goalie that has potentially three to five good years and is on the current decline has not worked out well for the Flyers in the past. BUT I think if the Flyers were to get rid of Brian Elliott, Michael Neuvirth and run with Cam Talbot and Carter Hart for a season they would be much better off than what has been their goalie situation in the past. Plus the Flyers can shed Wayne Simmonds, receive a bottom six forward and possibly Darnell Nurse.
2. Florida Panthers: Roberto Luongo is probably nearing the end of his career, he does not have much time left and the Panthers biggest issues lately have been goaltending concerns. Luongo has been on and off the IR and without a consistent number one it is hard to win in this league. Again the Panthers have a solid blue line where it would give Talbot more re-assurance then what he has dealt with in Edmonton.
3. Chicago Blackhawks: the Blackhawks are using Colin Delia, who is not doing a bad job but I am sure once and if he ever Corey Crawford does come back healthy the Blackhawks would be a solid team with Talbot-Crawford tandem. Or even if Crawford does not come back Talbot can be a very solid fringe starter for the Blackhawks.
4. Arizona Coyotes: The Coyotes have not had a number one goalie in quite sometime. They keep filling these hot hand goalies who are on for a week then off for a week. They need some consistency and Talbot is a veteran, knows what to do and can get the job done. Plus with Arizona’s blue line Talbot will get the defense he deserves and would play better in Arizona in comparison to Edmonton (the last two years).
5. New York Rangers: For 2-3 years until Igor Shesterkin is ready to leave the KHL, Cam Talbot can be a solid number two to Henrik Lundqvist or until Lundqvist retires. Talbot has a history with the Rangers and knows them well therefore it would be a good fit for him. For the Rangers perhaps not so much due to Talbot’s 4.16 million cap hit. I am not saying this is the best option for the Rangers but it is an option for Talbot and his agent.
Talbot led the NHL in 2016-2017 with 42 wins, and 73 starts, was 6th in the NHL in goals against(GAA) 2.39, 7th in save percentage with a .919. Yes this was 2016-17, two years ago but Talbot’s career numbers are 136-108-23 with a 2.57 GAA, .916 save percentage and 20 shutouts. In reality his decline only began last year, he has plenty of time to revive his career and any team can get four to five more solid seasons out of Talbot.