It came out just a little under 24 hours ago that the Nashville Predators and Winnipeg Jets have inquired about Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers made it public that they were interested in trading forward Wayne Simmonds. In return they want a top-five defenseman, top-six forward or a goalie. Therefore let’s look at a possible trade scenario for both teams.
Winnipeg Jets: Receive Wayne Simmonds, New Jersey Devils 3rd Round Pick
Philadelphia Flyers: Receive Tyler Myers
This seems realistic, no? Both are up for new contracts, Myers cost a little cheaper than Simmonds, the Jets have Josh Morrisey, Jacob Trouba, Ben Chariot and Dustin Byfuglien already on their back end. Plus the Jets are probably not willingly to resign Myers if Trouba is going to want 6.5-7 million for a long term deal. Myers is a former first round, 12th overall pick, 28-years-old, has years under his belt and a top-four defenseman in the NHL. The Flyers get what they want and they already have a third round pick so why not sweeten the deal with a third and Simmonds for Myers. Possibly even a second.
Nashville Predators: Receive Wayne Simmonds
Philadelphia Flyers: Receive Craig Smith and Matt Irwin
Another realistic trade option. The Predators have Smith to a 4.25 million dollar deal ending in 2020-2021 the same year Roman Josi’s 4 million dollar deal ends and we know he is going to get upwards of 8 million therefore it would be in the Predators best interest to get rid of Smith while his price is relatively high, take Simmonds for a cup run and then let him walk in free agency next year. Matt Irwin is no Ryan Ellis but he would honestly fit well in Philadelphia plus that is the only Nashville defenseman you are touching besides Dan Hamhuis who is too older to bother for. This trade gives the Flyers a top-six forward, a borderline top-five defenseman and frees up cap space.
It confirmed the Philadelphia Flyers are moving on from Wayne Simmonds. The reasons, we do not know. Speculation could be, he is going to be a UFA come the off-season expecting 5.5-7 million a year for a longer term deal. Simmonds has been in a little of a funk lately, only producing 46 points in 75 games last season and only 19 points in 44 games. Either way the Flyers are looking to actively shop Simmonds and are looking for a goaltender, top-six forward and fifth defenseman. Therefore where can we see Simmonds land?
- Edmonton Oilers: They need a top-six forward and that’s what Simmonds is plus paring him with Connor McDavid or Leon Draisaitl is a no-brainer for the Oilers. Plus the Oilers can trade Cam Talbot or Darnell Nurse, Kris Russell type defenseman and they have a few picks to give. Simmonds would pair well in Edmonton even though Milan Lucic has been rather unsuccessful recently and Lucic, Simmonds play similar games. Simmonds is a little more used to scoring goals and playing a goal-scoring role.
- Colorado Avalanche: The Avalanche have a ton of suitable prospects, Semyon Varlamov and fifth defenseman. Yes, Varlamov, he is a UFA in the off-season, the Avalanche trade Varlamov, get Simmonds and go after Bobrovsky, crazy but a possibility. Either way Simmonds would be a suitable partner for Philadelphia, the Avalanche can give up Samuel Girard or Alexander Kerfoot and Patrick Nemeth, plus a pick for Simmonds and something else.
- Columbus Blue Jackets: Word on the street is Sergei Bobrovsky wants to be traded… well the Flyers and Bob can reunite and swap Simmonds for Bob. The only concern is the Flyers will need to give more like a second and Bobrovsky for Simmonds, maybe more. Also Bob is going to cost 7.5 million same as Simmonds so what would be the point? Unless the Flyers are willingly to spend money on a goalie, which they should.
- Carolina Hurricanes: If the Hurricanes are interested in trading Faulk, Hamilton or Frolik this could be fit. Again the issue is the Hurricanes need to resign a few players and Sebastian Aho therefore Simmonds will be costly for them. This could be a possibility and Simmonds would actually fit well in Carolina basically a better Justin Williams.
- Calgary Flames: A small possibility, the Flames have a ton of defenseman on their backend and Mike Smith and David Rittich to trade if they wanted to shed a goalie it would probably be Mike Smith. Either way the Flames can move Travis Hamonic and Michael Frolik for Simmonds. Although the Flames are hot right now and I would not mess with their roster, the Flames are a suitor.
- Pittsburgh Penguins: When are they not in the running? They contacted Carolina about their two defenseman on the block and Ferland. Therefore why not entertain this conversation with Philly and see the offer sheet for Simmonds. He would basically another Patric Hornqvist just younger. Also the Penguins can move Casey DeSmith, Derek Brassard and Jamie Oleksiak. Simmonds would be a great fit in Pittsburgh honestly…